Author Topic: PNT Maps  (Read 7427 times)

Forum Staff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
PNT Maps
« on: September 26, 2015, 01:14:24 AM »
Please share information about maps related to the Pacific Northwest Trail.  This thread will be a constantly-updated list and informational resource about available mapping resources for the Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail.  Maps information can be specific to thru-hikers, section hikers, or day hikers.  The forum moderators will keep an updated, running list of as up-to-date and accurate of information as possible based on the replies to this thread.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 01:40:23 AM by Forum Staff »

Patches Pal

• View Profile
Re: PNT Maps
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 03:23:42 AM »
Can some one tell me which source is the official trail route?
I have notice several variations in the route between the KMZ and the Pacific Northwest Trail Interactive Map and the Strip maps.
The Pacific Northwest Trail Interactive Map and the Strip maps seem to agree with each other so I assume this is the official route?
For example the KMZ does not show the section going south from Discovery bay.
I am working on section hiking the trail from West to east and have made it to Port Townsend so far and I want to be a Purist and do the official route.
Thanks

Bravo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 03:05:50 PM »
As I understand the current PNNST does not have an official route corridor established yet.  The closest one to an official route would considered to be the pdf maps published in pnt.org/maps.   For the sake of discussion, the Pacific Northwest Trail Digest refers to three route designations:  Primary, Original, and Alternate(s).  The Primary route would be the closest to the one on the PNT pdf maps.  The Original route is from Ron Stickland's 2001 PNT Guidebook.  Alternate routes are popular routes that offer a recommended choice and/or a different route to bypass obstacles, and are different from the Primary or Original routes.

ron strickland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 01:38:44 AM »
The route of the Pacific Northwest Trail evolved over many decades.  As the PNT's founder, my goal (beginning in 1970) was always to create a long distance trail with MAXIMUM scenic and recreational value.  The PNTA's two official guidebooks (1984 and 2001) stressed that theme.  They each listed a Practical Route that hikers could enjoy right away and an Ideal Route that we'd build as conditions permitted.  I also discussed this situation in my 2011 memoir Pathfinder.  Today I invite interested hikers to immerse themselves in the routing details within some or all of the PNT's regions.  Our tradition historically was to strive for scenic excellence.  You personally can play an IMPORTANT ROLE in developing the future route of our fabulous resource.  Please remember that hikers usually have chosen to hike the PNT because of its wilder, more challenging nature.  The volunteers used to tell me, "Dr. Ron, stay high for the views."  I hope that everyone who loves the PNT will accept my challenge to maintain that tradition and resist efforts to dumb down the route.

Eileen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 12:40:47 PM »
How do I find the maps by Li Brannfors?

Dylan Carlson

• PNT 2006; CDT 2009
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 01:25:04 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, Brannfors no longer updates maps for thru hikers.

The most current, best, free maps are downloadable from the PNT website at: http://pnt.org/maps/
You can print them at home.

Hank

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 10:33:15 AM »
The last two sentences of page 3 of the 2015 Pacific Northwest Trail Digest state "Another good source of maps, and highly recommended, is from one of the major contributors to the book, Li Brannfors.  You can contact Li to get information about the PNT and his maps at li_brannfors@hotmail.com".  I emailed Li in 2015 and he sent me a link to the dropbox where his maps and gps data files are saved.  This year, 2016, my emails to him have gone unanswered.   

His maps are very good and IMHO vastly superior to those on pnt.org.  They show many alternates, notes and suggestions from other hikers and other useful information.  I loaded the gps files into the Gaia GPS app on my phone.  In areas of the trail where where there is a maze of logging roads, the GPS files saved me many hours of frustration as almost all of the logging roads are unsigned and in several places the trail follows abandoned logging roads that are almost completely overgrown.

PNTA Staff

• Administrator
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 06:03:10 AM »
2017 hikers, please note: The PNTA is working hard on an entirely new map set for 2017. These new maps will feature the most up-to-date primary route and recommended alternates available. In addition, they will include notes to support planning and logistics that are unavailable on the current set. Finally, these maps will be available to use two ways: to print and use as a paper hard copy, and as georeferenced pdf's that can be used in cellphone apps like Avenza, which use the device's onboard gps to show your location on the maps. We expect these maps to be available in April, but it's a big project, so you'll have to stay tuned for the exact release date.

Both Ted Hitroth's maps (the set that has been distributed on pnt.org in recent years) and Li's maps have served many hikers well over the years, and we've received a lot of useful feedback on both sets.  I personally carried both on my PNT thru-hike, and noted the advantages and limitations of each.  I think you'll find that the new PNTA set combines and builds on the strengths of both previous sets, while addressing some of the difficulties that previous users had with one set or the other. Additionally, by creating and maintaining these maps in-house, we'll be able to update them more frequently, which I believe is very important for a trail that changes as much from season-to-season (or even week-to-week, during the fire season) as the PNT does.

The new map set shows a primary route that has been adjusted to show 2017 on-the-ground realities.  There have been some important changes since last year. Like both of the previous map sets, the new set also shows alternates.  There are more alternates than Ted's set, and fewer than Li's.  These alternates are carefully selected with this year's users in mind.  Sometimes they show Ron's "ideal" route, where it's currently hikable but not on the primary route.  Sometimes they show other options which have become popular with hikers over the years, while staying true to the founding "stay high for the views" vision for the trail.  Occasionally, they show temporary alternates to get around areas on the primary route that wont be hikable this season.  The alternates that we've chosen not to show are the ones that might have been shown on a previous map set with a note that said something like "long paved road walk, I don't know why anyone would take this."  Of course we're not actually removing roads from the map's base layer, so you'll still have all the relevant information about your surroundings, we're just not highlighting those as choices to consider.  Also gone are alternates that led previous users to get into trouble with private property owners!  In other words: don't worry, you're not missing much.

One of the other features that made Li's maps a popular option for users in previous years were the additional notes that were layered on each page to help with planning and route selection.  Most of you will be happy to hear that we've chosen to continue with that tradition on our official set.  For the 2017 season, the notes will be based on staff knowledge and the feedback of recent hikers.  We have two recent PNT thru-hikers on staff at the moment, including one who hiked the PNT last year.  We'll also be able to incorporate the latest trail information from our Director of Trail Operations, and our trail crew leaders and volunteers.  We encourage this year's hikers to send us feedback and updates so we can continue to refine this resource in the future. 

That's about all I can say for this year's version at the moment.  We have even more plans for 2018!

Hank

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 06:56:42 AM »
I am looking forward to the new maps as I am section hiking the trail with the hope to eventually cover all of it.  I am going "against the tide" west to east.  As much as I like Li's maps, one downside is the notes are all directed at westbounders.  Will the new maps work well for both directions of travel?

PNTA Staff

• Administrator
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 04:39:42 AM »
That's a very good question Hank.  For this year, mileage will only be available counting up from the eastern terminus.  Important notes will be presented for travelers in either direction.  Overall, the flow will probably seem slightly better to westbound hikers in the 2017 version, but that's something I hope we can improve on. 

gailkogut

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 06:57:42 AM »
Will this new map set include Tim's GPS waypoints and/or Li's or other GPS tracks?

PNTA Staff

• Administrator
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 08:36:17 AM »
The new map set and Tim's book should be great companions.  The PNTA and Tim Youngbluth coordinate each spring to make sure his route description is in sync with what we know about trail conditions and management needs.  The tracks are our own, but you wont see much that you haven't seen before on previous map sets, including Ted's or Li's.  Please see my post from March 30th on this thread for a full description of how they compare. 

PNTA Staff

• Administrator
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »
Map news:

It's been quite an undertaking to produce the map set that I set out to produce, but the maps are looking great, and I'm really proud of what we've been able to accomplish.  In January, when I started working on this project, I said we'd have new maps published in April.  After my regular 40 hours a week of handling the day-to-day needs of maintaining a national scenic trail, I've been putting in another 10-20 hours a week of "volunteer time" to push this project toward completion.  It's now April 27th.  Here's what I have to report:

I'm not the only one putting in "overtime."  Our new communications manager, who is a PNT thru-hiker and graphic design professional, has been working long hours to help the PNTA reach this goal.  In addition, one of our members, who aspires to thru-hike the PNT this summer, quit his job a couple months early to come volunteer with the PNTA for a month before he hits the trail.  He is also a design professional.  The three of us have been working together to create an assembly-line to collect and refine data and illustrate the maps that we think the PNT needs.

So how are we doing?  50/50.  The maps are nicer than even I expected we'd be able to produce this year, and new maps will be published in April...  but I think it will be another week or so before the entire set is available for download.  Tomorrow, I expect to publish the first section of the 2017 "40th Anniversary Edition" maps.  The maps align with the ten sections described in Tim's guidebook.  The remaining nine sections will be published as they're completed in the coming days. 

I appreciate everyone's patience and I look forward to your feedback!

-Jeff

dapinitial

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »
Are these maps published now?  Are these the same as: http://www.pnt.org/maps . I am plotting out my day to days with the 2017 Trail Digest from Bravo.

PNTA Staff

• Administrator
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 09:43:09 AM »
For those who are interested in saving some money (and effort) on printed maps, the PNTA is now facilitating a discounted bulk print run of the new 2017 maps.  Anyone who is interested in joining in on the deal must put in their order by June 8th.  Details can be found at the following link:

http://www.pnt.org/trail/long-distance-hiking/2017/order-printed-maps/