Author Topic: 2017 PNT Thru-hikers  (Read 3493 times)

Ray

• View Profile
Re: 2017 PNT Thru-hikers
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 10:51:17 AM »
Hi everybody,

my name is Ryan. I am interested in doing the PNT during the summer break as well - looking to start mid-June and aim to keep it within 60 days (hiking west). I'm 22, and have some previous backpacking and camping experience (Alaska, crossing the alps).

This will be my first thru-hike of such magnitude, so I'm looking to join / form a small group.
Feel free to mail me!

Captain Sid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 10:14:49 AM »
Hey Folks!

I'm Sid and I'm trying to find some other people to hike at least the beginning section of the PNT in early July.
A little about me: I'm a 27yr. old and will be graduating in June with a degree in outdoor recreation and psych. I'm a wilderness EMT and work as an outdoor guide for Eastern Washington University and also the City of Spokane. This is my first big thru hike and I'm cool hiking solo for part of the adventure but having some chill people to adventure with through the first couple of sections would be nice, generally for safety reasons.
Anyway, please shoot me an email if you'd like a hiking buddy!

Cheers!

cfreyvt

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 07:01:49 AM »
Hi all, I'm Christian, and am planning on thru-hiking in 2017. I'm in Nova Scotia, and am looking to head back to the US and enjoy some mountain scenery. I'm planning on starting early July. I would enjoy hearing from you if you are planning on thru-hiking, it would be great to meet people who will be out on the trail.  Click that little mail envelope if you want to reach me!

Spibop

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »
Hi all,
My wife and I are planning on hiking the PNT westbound starting late June this year.  I am 33 and work as a waiter in a restaurant, while she is an art teacher at a middle school here.  We currently live in Massachusetts after having spent about a decade living in NYC, and plan on doing this trail before finally settling down.  My first long(ish) hike was the Coast-to-Coast trail in northern England way back in 2006, and since then I have thru-hiked :
     AT '08
     PCT '10
     Camino de Santiago, Northern Route '11
     CDT '12
     Te Araroa '15
It seems like alot of people are in for their first thru hike, so feel free to email me any questions!

Jeff "Sandman" 

wassonjr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 08:46:28 AM »
Hey gang,

I'm Jake. I thru-hiked the PCT in 2006, and I was going to do it again this year until I heard about the PNT. What an awesome trail! I too am open to hiking with others, mainly because I'm navagationally impulsive and often times take long, unneeded detours I later regret. Hiking partners are good for balance.

As for my personality, I prone to whining...but only when my supply of snickers, tortillas, and peanut butter is low. I also dislike pets, especially my cat Pip the Evergreen Jungle Cat. And my pack is from the 80s with big, unultralight buckles. Oh and I plan on writing about my backpacking adventure this year in a very unusual way when I return.

"When in doubt, go up!"

:) Jake

brigadoon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 04:01:37 PM »
no one should plan to start before july if going westbound ... people are gonna die if they dont start doing some hard research fast. esspecially after an el nina winter. we are talking no visible trail on an already nearly invisible trail and non existent at times. and impassible rivers when already days into the wood.. this isnt the romantic walk in the woods u might think. sorry i love the pnt but im shocked what im reading. how is there no giant warning sign that says  dont start before july. i get a rare few technically should be able to but most of these current enthusiasts arent triple crown holders with extensive off trail navigation and oreinteering skills, or are seeking am extremely difficult challenge, and i'm really trying to help save people from a potentially dangerous decision.

Asc12

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 11:37:42 AM »
I've also been thinking about doing the PNT, would be starting in WA! Would anyone happen to know an estimated cost? Not including gear since that part is pretty sound. Not really interested in stopping in at motels, though food is one of my favorite things to experience when traveling and exploring. Happy trails everyone  ;D

Dylan Carlson

• PNT 2006; CDT 2009
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 11:09:24 PM »
I've also been thinking about doing the PNT, would be starting in WA! Would anyone happen to know an estimated cost?

Approximately $2/mile is the "standard" guideline for thru-hikers. Your cost may be less or more, depending on your lifestyle.

The biggest influence on cost is where you eat/sleep when you hit town. An air-conditioned motel room may be $90. A tent site at the city park is free. Sharing the cost of lodging with another hiker will help.

Asc12

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 04:04:06 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate the info! Would you or anyone else know if people hunt on the trails?

Approximately $2/mile is the "standard" guideline for thru-hikers. Your cost may be less or more, depending on your lifestyle.

The biggest influence on cost is where you eat/sleep when you hit town. An air-conditioned motel room may be $90. A tent site at the city park is free. Sharing the cost of lodging with another hiker will help.

Dylan Carlson

• PNT 2006; CDT 2009
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 12:16:17 PM »
Would you or anyone else know if people hunt on the trails?

It's very likely that you'll run into local hunters in those places where it's legal to hunt.

But it's almost unheard of for a thru-hiker to hunt while pursuing their hike. The cost and weight of hunting gear far outweighs the "free" meat. Moreover, most thru-hikers wish to spend their time walking toward their destination. Hunting simply slows you down.

Fishing might be a bit more practical in terms of weight and time, save for the incredibly complex maze of fishing regulations and permit requirements.

My advice: Don't bother playing Lewis & Clark. Read about lightweight backpacking gear and techniques. And focus on making miles toward your destination.

RoadRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 04:51:57 AM »
I'm planning a thruhike of the PNT 2017. Tentative starting dates between June 26-July 1st, so last week of June, probably? Anyone from the Missoula, MT area that is wanting company up to Chief Mountain Customs (start of the trailhead)? I don't have a vehicle and was wondering if anyone can help with logistics to the trailhead. Any thing helps!

czelusni

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2017, 02:11:00 AM »
Hey y'all!

My name is Nick (22), and I am planning a thru hike of the PNT this summer. I plan on starting early July or late June (depending on snow conditions of course) and I am looking for a hiking partner(s) to start the trail with and for the bushwacking sections. I have some backpacking and land nav experience but this is the first thru hike I will attempt. I plan on driving up to Montana around the 22nd of June. Let me know if you're interested in starting out with me!

Happy hiking

Canyon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2017, 04:15:31 AM »
Hey ya'll,

My name is Canyon. I'm 24 and I'm separating from the Navy this month(April). I've been hiking for a few years now and backpacking about a year in Western WA. I'm also starting a mountaineering course through the local college that's being instructed by Olympic Mountain Rescue, and it'll wrap up a couple weeks before I plan to leave for the trail in early to mid July.

jg_the_wilderness_lad

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 10:03:07 AM »
Hi all! My name is Jordan and myself and two friends (Seth and Josh) are graduating college in a few weeks and have been planning a thru hike for about a year and a half now. We're currently working out all the little, fun details and gathering the gear we know we want. We're also working on locking in more sponsorships (already have one in the bag, yay!). We are planning on July 1 as our leave date. Hit us up if you're leaving around that time and we'll make a party of it! Also, you all should check out the PNT subreddit over at https://www.reddit.com/r/PacificNorthwestTrail/ they could use some help and it's a great way to share resources, pics, tips, etc. Come on by and help revitalize the community!

whereswaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 01:17:36 AM »
Start date of June 17! If you are around Chief Mountain or anywhere in the eastern half of GNP at that point and you see red and white striped socks, say hi!

- Waldo