Author Topic: Advice for a 6 to 8 week hike in August-September  (Read 325 times)

mcziegler

• View Profile
Advice for a 6 to 8 week hike in August-September
« on: March 16, 2017, 08:39:25 AM »
Hi all!

I'll be finishing grad school in mid-August of 2017 and am hoping to do a hike for 6 to 8 weeks starting then. Before I get into the nitty-gritty of planning said hike, I'm reaching out to different trail forums across the country to find a trail/region that would be feasible and fantastic, and so am asking for your wisdom to learn if certain stretches of PNT could be an option for what I'm looking for.

First, a bit about myself. I'm an experienced back-packer, but this hike will definitely be my most serous undertaking. I've done about 12 solo multi-day back packing trips in my life, with the longest being a 9 day hike in Banff. I'm generally in good shape (15ish miles per day on standard terrain), have accumulated good gear, and will need to improve my navigation skills. I'm confident in my backpacking abilities, but would want to be realistic about not getting in over my head.

I would be willing for any stretch of the trail that would be reasonable. My goals would be diversity of terrain (lakes, mountains, rivers, forests, etc..), remoteness, avoid overly-complicated logistics (complex food drops, etc...). I'm not trying to be crazy-intense with daily average miles (10 to 15 per day, but willing for the occasional 20 or so), and would love if the trail I hike has the option to set up camp for 2 or 3 days in some places where I can do some pack-less exploring. Using those calculations, I'd be looking at a stretch that's about 400 to 500 miles - not accounting for elevation change. I will be hiking by myself, will most likely not have a car, will be traveling in from Wisconsin, and am trying to do a trip that's relatively affordable. I've already hiked for 3 days in Olympic National Parks and 3 days in the Cascades, but haven't been to any other parts of the trail and love to see the other stretches. My schedule's still up in the air, but the earliest I could start would be about August 7 and the latest I could go would be October 14.

Sorry for my overly vague request, but if you've made it this far and are willing to offer your advice: If you were a guy in my situation, do you think I could make a hike like this work somewhere on the PNT? And if so, any suggestions on which stretch? I know that it's hard to predict weather and where snow might make stretches of trail impassible, but is the hike I'm looking for even feasible this time of year?

I'm open to any clarifying questions you may have, and am very grateful for your consideration here. You might just tip me off towards the best hike of my life!

Take care,
Mike

Dylan Carlson

• PNT 2006; CDT 2009
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for a 6 to 8 week hike in August-September
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 03:04:35 AM »
There are a few other threads with prior recommendations for section hikers. Check out:

http://pnt.org/forum/index.php?topic=41
http://pnt.org/forum/index.php?topic=37

mcziegler

• View Profile
Re: Advice for a 6 to 8 week hike in August-September
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:41:18 AM »
Thanks for the links! I've looked at the first link and it's helped me to narrow in on the stretch from Glacier Park to Ross Lake. From a rough look at it, it seems like a do-able enough section to hone in on and start seeing if it's something I'd want to commit to and make plans for.

Thanks again,
Mike