Author Topic: Snow in the Rockies/backup plan  (Read 440 times)


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Snow in the Rockies/backup plan
« on: May 20, 2017, 12:04:28 AM »
Hello all ramblers, vagabonds, hiker trash, and trail jockeys!

A few friends and I have been planning on the PNT for about 2 years or so now and we're reaching a dilemma. Our original start date out of Chief Mountain is July 1, but snow is looking not great. If I'm reading the data on postholer correctly, it looks like there's snow on about 40% of the trail between CM and Priest Lake (am I reading that wrong?). We have a weird situation where my sister is getting married the first week of August so we're taking a break to be at the wedding in Central Washington. We were planning on making Priest lake our stop before the wedding so we could drive back and help with the wedding prep. But looking at the snow we need to decide if Priest Lake is realistic and what a contingency plan would look like.

All this to say... How worried are others about the snow? I know that there's a lot of time for melt still. I saw on here that a lot of people were thinking about starting second week of June which seems almost impossible due to not just the snow but the river/stream crossings, losing the trail, blowdowns, overall lower temp., extra calories burned fighting the snow, etc. I just want to make sure I'm not crazy, and if I am someone slap me and tell me it'll be okay and I just need to hike on.

Dylan Carlson

  • PNT 2006; CDT 2009
  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 69
    • View Profile
Re: Snow in the Rockies/backup plan
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 05:48:31 AM »
I think you'll be fine.  June is the month when snow melts in the rockies. You have six more weeks before you start.

Bring microspikes/crampons for Glacier Park and mail them home when you decide they've become unnecessary.